Where did Valentine’s Day get its start?
Story has it that St. Valentine was a priest who refused an unattested law attributed to Roman Emperor Claudius II, allegedly ordering that young men remain single. It is said the Emperor did this to grow his army, believing that married men did not make for good soldiers. The priest Valentine, however, secretly performed marriage ceremonies for young men. When Claudius found out about this, he had Valentine arrested, thrown in jail, and then executed on February 14. While in jail Valentine wrote a love note to the jailor’s daughter signing it “From your Valentine.”
Enough history, here’s some fun facts!:
- In 1537, England’s King Henry VII officially declared February 14 the holiday of Valentine’s Day.
- XOXO- a symbol of love. Many believe that the symbol X became synonymous with the kiss in medieval times. People who couldn’t write their names would sign in front of a witness with an X. Then, the X was often kissed to show their sincerity.
– It is said that chocolate will cure any heartache. In the 1800s physicians commonly advised their patients to eat chocolate to calm their longing for lost love.
- Chocolate purchased on Valentine’s Day in the United States adds up to over $1 billion.
- Alone for Valentine’s Day? Send yourself flowers. It is said that 15% of women send themselves flowers on Valentine’s Day.
- 189 million stemmed roses will be sold in the United States on Valentine’s Day.
- The red rose was the favorite flower of Venus, the Roman goddess of love. The color red is significant because it often symbolizes passion.
- Don’t forget your furry friends- about 3-5% of pet owners will give their pet a Valentine’s Day gift.
- Kiss your Valentine first thing in the morning on Valentine’s Day. To be awoken by a kiss on Valentine’s Day is said to bring luck.
Read more Valentine’s Day Facts: here.
Happy Valentine’s Day! Still don’t have plans? Remember Sophia’s Restaurant has a special 5 course menu available February 11, 12 and 14. Check out the menu: here. The Fairview also has many romantic packages available perfect for you and your sweetheart. See packages, here.